OIMA is a free digital archive for the preservation and promotion of independent music from Ontario, both contemporary and historical.
This is your chance to dip into the musical history of the place you call home. Liven up your musical library with music from our collection. Listen local.
Whether you want to explore a particular genre (or year or artist) or if you just need to mix up your workday playlist, we've got you covered.
When you apply for a Listener account you can create a profile that includes:
- a personal bio
- links to a personal website
- playlists of the music you think other OIMA users should check out or want to play for yourself
- your favourite songs, albums and artists
What counts as music from Ontario?
A song is considered Ontarian, and suitable for OIMA, if it meets any one of the follow criteria:
- the artist or majority of artists comprising the group that created the song were born in Ontario
- the artist or group are currently based in Ontario (and have been for at least six months) and the song was recorded during their time in Ontario
- the artist or group previously lived in Ontario for at least five years and the song to be archived was recorded during that time
What counts as independent music?
You will need to make an account if you haven't done so already.